07 June 2010

Graffiti in Graz, Austria

          Welcome to Graz, Austria. For obvious reasons, this city struck a high note with me -just look at the graffiti! I found this piece on a busy cobblestone street in between two main plazas in downtown Graz. What English-speaking person decided to claim it/proclaim it, I pondered as I snapped a few angles. Whomever it was; I applaud their choice of wall.





    Can anyone help me decipher this symbol? The stencil was particularly small; she's maybe about six inches tall at the most. According to trusty wikipedia, the "CE" on her belt buckle is a conformity mark used to certify the safety standards of any product sold in the European Union. The halo of stars echoes the EU flag, and she has a Euro currency symbol stamped on her forehead. She's obviously for sale, evidenced by the barcode on her chest. But what about the bull? Is it a symbol of Spain? And if so... why did I find it on a wall in the southern Austrian city of Graz? Intriguing, whatever the case.



     Walking up the Schloßberg, Graz's central hill and the site of an ancient demolished fortress, you can find these delightful tags. Seeing this Gnu right after an excursion to a Nepalese restaurant in Vienna had me wondering about the seemingly incongruous Nepal/Austria connection: what linked the two countries? I must admit that, even surrounded by  the mountains ringing Graz, it didn't strike me until I googled it. Austrian mountaineers have a long history of trekking in the Himalayas. 
     And as for Laurel and Hardy? I guess they're just international. 

1 comment:

Jérôme H. said...

I would say Laurel and Hardy are international and black and white.

I had never seen this graffiti. The bull does represent Spain, and upon closer examination, it is tight to something.
I confirm that CE is a conformity mark.
Interesting anyway...